Monday, September 27, 2010

Intro 1
I was sitting on the tiled floor with sixty other young men and women. We were all probably thinking similar thoughts. ‘What the hell have I done?’ It’s the first day of basic training and we were getting our official rude awakening into Army life. Drill Sgt. Whigham was standing before us all shooting information at us in a very harsh rat-a-tat fashion when he asks; “Why are you here in my army? If any of you stand up and say it’s for the college money you might as well ring out now, you don’t join my army for college money.” Well, there’s the million dollar question. Why was I in this man’s army?
Intro 2
I spent four years in the Army, no more, no less. I knew I was there for one term only because that was goal I had for myself since age 12. That’s an odd goal for a twelve year old to have, graduate and do just one term in the military. I didn’t know any real facts about the army. Everything I knew about the army I’d learned on television or through stories my father had told me. But the stats and facts about the army weren’t important, I just had to do it. But why?

2 comments:

  1. Both are good. I'd give the edge to the first one. Possibly some of the material in the second will find its way into support grafs or the outro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I will use the first and part out the second among the body. Thank you

    ReplyDelete