Monday, September 27, 2010

Reactions to ‘cause” essays.
‘Love Sucks’
The writing of the ‘love sucks’ essay seemed easy to follow and required very little back reading to pick up a lost point. I can even agree a little bit with the topic. When love ends it rarely ends well. I’m glad she is trying to better her grip on it. I liked the way she fired the final shot by saying the essay was going to be shown to her current mate.
‘Dancing Chicken’
Another one easy to read, it appeared to be in logical order. I’ve got no love for ballet or any dancing for that fact but I got the point of starting and quitting repeatedly. I used to be guilty of that, it’s always seemed easier to do when it was on Mom’s dime. I wonder if it has changed for this girl, assuming she’s now an adult and she has to pay for her hobbies. It’s hard to quit when you’ve got skin in the game.
‘Go Random Sports team.’
I can’t even tell you if I think this essay is well written. Any talk of sports and sports teams makes my mind glaze over and day dream about… not sports. It appears to me the graphs are too loaded but again I think the sentence, “The Sox are on”, involves too many sports related terms. One thing I did like was the ‘sound effects.’ I like to read “THWACK!” instead of, “The ball was hit and it made a loud cracking sound. But the over use of caps is one of my arch nemesis of the interwebz generation. The ending where it’s all a dream doesn’t set well with me. I was told by a high school English teacher when someone ends a story like that, it is because they didn’t bother to come up with a proper ending. I don’t know if that’s true but every time I see it that thought races through my head.
‘Double Time, March’
This one was so-so. I sure do understand the rush of being partnered up with a ‘crush’. The first three graphs were put together so it was mediocre to read. The last two seemed to switch gears and I got the impression there was a lack of supporting details.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you read with a critical, even harsh, eye--much better for 101 purposes than a bland whitebread approach.

    ReplyDelete