Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Classification Intro

Intro one
“That’s not a knife, this is a knife!” That’s the popular line often quoted from Crocodile Dundee. Sorry Croc I wouldn’t call either one of them a proper knife. I guess you can take any random hunk of metal and put a handle on it and call it a knife. Not this guy. I take my knives seriously and believe you have to have the right one for the job at hand. Any knife in order to be worth a damn has to be well taken care of, sharpened properly and stored properly. However what makes a knife good for a job all comes down to the blade and blades can be broken down into three neat categories.
Intro two.
Knives, in one form or another, have played a part in human existence for thousands of years. They’ve taken on countless shapes and styles from the stoned dirks made by the early Egyptians, to the wooden hunting knives used by many south American tribes. Technically a knife only has to be stronger than the material your cutting and sharp enough to break the fiber of that material. I, however, hold my knives dear to me and believe a proper knife is all about the blade. The blade, or business, of the knife should have one of three types of blades on it. If it doesn’t have one of the following three, it is a toy knife and won’t find a place among my tools.

1 comment:

  1. Either one might work but look at how you bury the most important thing and substitute instead a more or less generic graf of information and definition.

    The most important thing is that you, Mack, have knives, more than one, and see them as tools, not toys, not for display. That is the proper starting place for the essay in my opinion. We don't just want bald information; we want it sweetened with the human interest you are burying.

    ReplyDelete